For Immediate Release – September 4, 2020 – (Vancouver, BC)
Sport BC is set to celebrate KidSport BC Week from September 7 – 14, 2020.
KidSport Week is an opportunity to raise the profile of KidSport BC across the province and help more kids get off the sidelines and into the game. All kids deserve the chance to get involved in sport and benefit from healthy lifestyles early on. KidSport provides support to kids by removing financial barriers that can prevent them from playing organized sport. This year’s KidSport BC Week will be proclaimed September 7-14th across BC.
Of Sport BC’s signature program KidSport, President and CEO Rob Newman shares, “We are proud of the impact KidSport, has in communities right across our province. At Sport BC, we truly believe in the transformative power of sport, its ability to build stronger communities and healthy citizens. The positive results are possible because of the support of our partners, donors, sponsors, ambassadors, and volunteers. All of this inspiring support allows KidSport BC to help thousands of children access quality sport experiences every year. During KidSport BC Week, we would like to thank all of the enthusiastic volunteers working hard #SoALLKidsCanPlay!”
Changing Lives Through Sport
At KidSport BC, we believe sport changes lives. We support low-income kids from marginalized and underserved groups, providing opportunities they would otherwise miss out on. KidSport helps to level the playing field in a number of ways including:
- Life Skills: By participating in sport, kids learn teamwork, fair play, respect, leadership, resiliency, goal setting, and hard work. These are skills kids will take with them for the rest of their lives.
- Education: Sport improves kids’ academic performance. Being physically active improves cognitive functioning which helps kids do better in school and other activities.
- Preventative Health Care: Kids who are active through sport are physically healthier. Playing sport also improves mental wellbeing; reducing kids’ stress, anxiety, and depression. At KidSport, we believe sport changes lives.
KidSport BC Impact Across the Province Since 1993
- 62,800+ Kids given the gift of sport
- $15 MILLION+ invested in kids
Fast Facts: KidSport Impact Across BC in 2019
- KidSport BC provides opportunities for young people to access sport. In 2019 KidSport BC raised $2.1 Million and issued 7,248 grants
- Funding Breakdown:
- 2,827 Girls granted = $836,456
- 886 Indigenous Youth granted = $257,442
- 173 Children with a Disability granted = $51,301
- 511 New Canadians granted = $138,539
- Making it all Happen:
- 300+ Volunteers
- 42 Local Chapters
- 150 Communities Impacted
- 52 Sports
About KidSport BC
The KidSport program aims to remove the financial barriers to sport participation by providing grants to help cover the costs of registration fees. This program is intended to help increase participation numbers for Sport BC members and their local clubs by helping under-resourced children and youth access a season of sport. KidSport is a Registered Canadian Amateur Athletics Association (“RCAAA”) with charitable status and can issue tax receipts to donors. Keep up to date @KidSportBC
About Sport BC
Sport BC believes in the power of sport and is committed to building stronger communities through positive sport experiences. Our goal is to enhance and support sport participation in British Columbia ensuring everyone has the opportunity to thrive. Through our KidSport BC, BC Amateur Sport Fund, and ProMOTION Plus along with our services Sport BC Insurance, and Payroll and Group Benefits; Sport BC supports our sixty plus member organizations. Keep up to date @SportBC